Where the mind is without fear and the head is held high; Where knowledge is free;
Where the world has not been broken up into fragments by
narrow domestic walls;
Where words come out from the depth of truth; Where tireless striving stretches its arms towards perfection; Where the clear stream of reason has not lost its way into the
dreary desert sand of dead habit;
Where the mind is led forward by Thee into ever-widening
thought and action….
Into that heaven of freedom, my Father, let my country awake.
Answer the following questions:
1. Make a list of the qualities found in the ‘Heaven of Freedom’.
2. Who does the poet address when he says ‘My Father’?
3. What type of society does the poet dream about?
4. Where should the mind be led?
5. How can people move towards perfection ?
6. What does the poet mean when he says “let my country awake”?
7. What are the factors which are barriers for a good society?
8. In what sense is ‘Heaven of Freedom’ used?
9. What type of freedom helps us to make our country heaven?
10. Make a list of bad customs you find in your society.